Caldo Verde is a popular soup in Portuguese cuisine. The main ingredients are potatoes, kale and sausage. Our recipe includes our Organic nitrite free Bacon and our Organic Pork Kielbasa. For a pork free version, substitute with our Turkey Bacon and Turkey Kielbasa.
- 1 McLean Organic Pork Kielbasa (skinned – remove casing)
- 1 Pack of McLean Organic Old Fashioned Bacon
- 1 Large onion
- 1L Beef broth
- 6 Medium potatoes
- 500ml water
- 1 Kale Bunch
- Chop the bacon into square pieces and dice the onion.
- Slice the sausage into bite size circles and chop the kale. Peel the potatoes.
- In a large casserole, fry the bacon until crunchy, remove it from the casserole and reserve.
- In the bacon fat, fry the sausage for about 3 or 4 minutes, remove from the casserole and reserve.
- In the remain bacon fat, fry the onion chopped.
- Add the beef broth, the peeled potatoes and the water. Cook potatoes until soft.
- Blend the potatoes with the broth (in a blender) until it is creamy.
- Return the mixture to the pot. Add the fried sausage, the chopped kale and the fried bacon (reserve some bacon bits to add when serving). Let it boil for about 10 min until the kale is soft, stirring occasionally. Add more water if it’s needed.
*Salt is not necessary because the bacon and sausage are seasoned.
Optional: Use a round shaped hard shelled bread as a bowl.
Caldo Verde is a popular soup in Portuguese cuisine. The main ingredients are potatoes, kale and sausage. Perfect for rainy days, to get you comfortable.