Originating from the Kingdom of Hungary, traditional Goulash is a soup using meat and vegetables and seasoned with paprika and other spices. Our delicious Mclean version uses our savory Organic Pork Kielbasa with Cauliflower and Smoked Paprika for some extra zest. Enjoy this chunky satiating soup in a bread bowl (Sourdough Boule) and top with favourite cheese.
- 1 McLean Organic Pork or Turkey Kielbasa (skinned – remove casing)
- ½ Head of large Cauliflower or whole sm/medium Cauliflower
- 2 Russet Potatoes (1 large or 2 medium size)
- 3 Carrots
- 5-8 Garlic Cloves or 1 Bulb
- 1 large Onion
- 2 Celery Sticks
- ½ cup Chick Peas (optional)
- 3 tbsp Smoked Paprika (optional: adds smoky depth & colour)
- ½ tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp of whole Fennel
- 1 tsp of whole Thyme
- ½ tsp of ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Salt (Optional depending on salt content of bouillon/stock, or add at end to taste)
- Approx. 5 tbsp Olive Oil OR 2 tbsp of real butter
- 3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (or favorite Chicken Stock)
- 2-4 Sourdough Boule’s (Soup makes enough for 4)
- Chop and sauté onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms together with oil/butter in a large soup pot and sauté on low/med heat for 10-15 minutes. Soup Pot Size: 5.6 liters (6 quarts).
- Chop Carrots, Cauliflower and Potato and add to pot.
- Remove the casing from the Kielbasa, and then chop into round pieces.
- Add Chick Peas.
- Combine all ingredients including spices into the soup pot and mix.
- Fill pot to ½-3/4 full with water or combination of water and chicken broth. If using liquid broth always add first before water. If using cubes, fill pot to ½-3/4 full with water and add cubes.
- Bring to boil, and then simmer on low covered 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut a big hole into your sourdough boule and fill with soup. Garnish with parsley.
If you prefer a thicker soup: Start with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a small bowl. Add equal amounts of cold water and stir until smooth paste forms. This is your slurry. Whisk the slurry into the hot, simmering soup that you want to thicken. Repeat until you achieve desired consistency.