Similar to a classic Ham and Split Pea soup, this version uses green lentils instead of dried peas. You can also use red Lentils or a mix of both. Lentils cook quickly making this soup easy to make in less time than traditional Ham and Split Pea soup.
- 2 thick slabs (½ inch) of McLean Virginia Honey Ham, approx. 400 grams.
- 1 large Onion
- 3 Celery Sticks
- 4 Carrots
- 5 Garlic buds
- 1 Russet Potato
- 1-½ cups of Lentils (pre-soak 5 minutes, and rinse well)
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp of ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp of Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 Harvest Sun Organic Chicken Bouillon Cubes (or favorite Chicken Stock)
NOTE: Harvest Sun is Gluten & Soy Free
- Chop and sauté onion, garlic, celery and carrots together with butter in a large soup pot for 10 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper. Soup Pot Size: 5.6 liters (6 quarts)
- Chop Potato and add to pot.
- Chop Ham slabs into bite size cubes and add to pot.
- Rinse Lentils well and add to pot.
- Combine all ingredients including spices into the soup pot.
- Fill pot to ¾ full with water or combination of water and chicken broth. If using liquid broth always add first before water. If using cubes, fill pot to ¾ full with water and add cubes.
- Bring to boil, and then simmer on low covered 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pork Free: Substitute Ham with a pack of McLean Turkey Breakfast Strips.
Extra Protein: Use a container Chicken BONED BROTH, and cap up with water as needed. Reduce bouillon cubes to 2.